Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Scare

Well, the first of what I am sure to be many nerve-wracking scenarios involving our son happened this morning. 

I had my normal OB appointment and was telling Dr. Heit how this weekend I felt like the baby was moving significantly less than normal and he scolded me for not calling the clinic.  In our defense, we were literally on the verge of calling, but then the baby started moving and I felt reassured.  After I finished telling him that, he got out the monitor to listen to the baby's heartbeat, and every 4th beat was skipping.  This prompted him to send me to the Perinatal (high risk pregnancy) clinic for an immediate ultrasound to see what was going on.  I of course was trying not to cry and trying not to think the worst, but how can you not?  Especially given that it seemed like he wasn't moving as much as normal over the weekend. 

Anyway - I got right in at the Perinatal clinic and they got the ultrasound going and Baby Lew's heartbeat was back to normal by that point - probably about 30 minutes or so had passed by then.  The Dr said she was stuggling to find anything abnormal at all and that at 30 weeks, it is common for the baby's heartrate to sound irregular at times.  Something about the maturity of the atrium and the way it fires at this age.  So anyway, all is well.   And it if nothing else, I got to see the baby again!  And he has chubby cheeks :)

Cody wasn't at this appointment b/c it was at 9:30 in the morning - normally we try to do our appointments towards the end of the day so that neither of us has to go back to work.   When I got sent to the Perinatal clinic, I told him he didn't need to drive almost an hour from work b/c I'd probably be in and out by then. So when I called him with the good news that everything was ok, I caught him just as he was deciding he couldn't stand it anymore and he was heading to the clinic.  Luckily he didn't need to come, but it will be nice to see each other tonight after work and give each other a long, reassuring hug since I think we're both feeling pretty shaky still. 

No more scares please, Baby Lew!

1 comment:

  1. Amy & Cody - I'm so happy that everything turned out okay. Enjoy the last few months!

    Nikki Yount

    ReplyDelete