Tuesday, December 14, 2010

16 Week update

Today is the start of week 16, and I’ve been feeling really good lately.  I’m not quite as tired as I was in the first trimester and last night I was even able to jog a little which felt really good (don’t think I’ve even attempted since early October).  I was really surprised that I was able to make it even a mile because I have been so irregular with any form of exercise.  Like 1-2 times a week, sometimes not at all.  Oopsy. 

My goal for the 2nd trimester is to be better about making time for exercise.  I’ve been working long hours and using that as an excuse, but I need to just make the effort.  I feel so much better about myself when I’m do.  I am really going to try to get in 3-4 days a week.  I’m not doing anything that’s high impact at all…just walking on the treadmill or doing the elliptical for my cardio, and then sometimes will talk myself into doing some light weights and toning work. 

This week the baby is 4 ½ inches, and they say the size of an avocado.  (Are avocados really 4 ½ inches long?  Week 15’s size was the size of my fist – an avocado seems like a regression, doesn’t it?  Maybe I just need to do more cooking.)  A lot of the reading I’ve been doing says that 16 weeks is about the earliest that movements from the baby can be felt, but that some moms don’t feel anything even until week 20 or so.  I hope I don’t have to wait that long!  Every night I lay in bed and try to figure out if I’m feeling anything and then I’m pretty sure I just start imagining feelings that aren’t really there. 

Yesterday I had a penta test which is a blood test that screens for chromosomal abnormalities (things such as Downs Syndrome, Spina Bifida, and other neural tube defects).  We have to wait for about a week to get the results back….in the meantime, I’m trying not to think about it because it’s not something we can change the outcome of and we’ll love the baby just the same no matter what the results.  Still – it’s a little unnerving thinking about the what-ifs, and of course no parent wants to hear that their baby is anything but perfectly healthy.  All we can do is continue to pray and put it in God’s hands.

January 6th is the date of our sonogram and we’ll find out if we’re having a boy or girl….stay tuned!

So far still targeting May 31st as our due date!

2 comments:

  1. Yay--good job on the jogging sis!!And we are praying every night for a healthy baby--- I can't wait to meet that little avocado!!

    -Auntie Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. green.....hhmmmm....I think green is a great color for a baby....if it's a boy, we can call him hulk or hornet - if it's a girl we'll call her Kermitta cuz it's not easy being green or maybe just a little "wicked"!

    x0x0x0x j ed

    ReplyDelete