Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Oh Boy!!!

We had our sonogram on Thursday the 6th, and it’s a BOY!!!  People have asked me if I’m disappointed I’m not having a girl, and I can honestly say that I’m 100% excited about having a boy.  I think that if I hadn’t spent as much time around our nephew Gavin, that I’d probably be a little more freaked out, but I’m seriously thrilled to be having a boy.  Of course Cody is elated as well. 

I have to say that the sonogram was probably the most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced.  We could see our little guy for a good 15 minutes and were just amazed to watch him move around.  He wasn’t still for a second!  We could see his little heart beating 146 bpm and could make out all 4 chambers, we could see his spine and ribs and fingers and toes.  Even saw him yawn and his little lips were SO sweet!  The tech measured the distance between eyes, femur length, etc for signs of Downs and also checked for club foot, cleft palate, spina bifida, etc….and we felt so fortunate that everything was looking normal and healthy. 

Going into the ultra sound I was a little nervous because I hadn’t felt the baby’s movements yet.  Turns out I have an “anterior placenta” – which basically means that my placenta is at the front of my uterus so it’s acting as an extra cushion between the baby and my stomach and kind of muffles the kicks and punches, so he has to punch and kick harder for me to feel it through the placenta.  So they just said that I’ll feel it a little later than some.  At this point, they said there is nothing wrong with having an anterior placenta and made me feel like it was normal.  They did say the baby was facing the wrong direction, but that he’d probably get himself turned around, and they weren’t worried about it at this point.

Yesterday was the half-way mark, I am now 20 weeks and half way through the pregnancy.  So crazy to think that.  Here’s a belly pic from this morning, I finally feel like I’m starting to show more, YAY!



This past weekend my Mom and Don were in town to celebrate Sarah’s bday and to help us do some painting at our house.  The original plan was just to paint one of the guest bedrooms and it’s bathroom, but they were on such a roll that they also got the nursery painted.  I’ve read mixed reviews on whether pregnant women can be around paint fumes, and I wasn’t too worried about it, but mom insisted they just do it themselves and that I stay away from the fumes.  They painted form 9a-midnight on Saturday – talk about rockstars.  Wow.  But it feels SO good to get that done.  I was able to purchase our bedding during the day Saturday, too, so I’m feeling like we’ve got a great start!  Here’s a pic of the bedding from the website, but I’ll post pics of the actual room once we get furniture and get the room all set up.


The very next day after we found out we were having a boy, I snuck out over lunch to a little baby boutique up the street that was having a sale and bought a few things (ok 6 things) I couldn’t resist on.  But they were on sale!!!  I’ve promised Cody I won’t buy anything else for awhile.  I hope I can keep my promise!!

2 comments:

  1. You look so great! Your bump is adorable. I love the bedding you picked out and can't wait to see the room when it is done. I laughed about the 6 items you purchased. I'm sure it was hard to resist. Can't wait to meet your sweet baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you. Love the bedding. You look awesome! Eek- can't wait for you to meet your handsome little man. Boys are so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete